Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Onward


I am a big baby when it comes to pain. Just ask my wife Pat. I am allergic to needles and knives. The idea of being cut through the side of my chest and my ribs being spread apart to remove half my left lung is not sounding very appealing to me. My doctors agree it is the best way to go. I on the other hand am thinking let's call the whole thing off. I have non-small cell lung cancer and the only way to get rid of it is going to be non-painless. A week in the hospital with a chest tube draining fluids and blood out of my chest with three weeks of recovery is what is to be expected.
Lately I have not felt up for the challenge of "fighting cancer". I've asked Pat, why doesn't someone just take me out back and shoot me? I wasn't joking when I said I was a big baby when it came to pain. But for anyone who knows me you know I am a man when it comes to life. The good news is my doctors say I am strong and young and fit! Did you get that? Strong, young, and fit! They say I have a good chance because of my being so young and fit and strong. I'm glad someone thinks so.
From the words of Vance Havner, "'I Feel Like Traveling On" is a good song but I had better keep traveling on whether I feel like it or not. It is too far to go back. The side road is worse. This is no place to stop. And the only way out is on."
So, onward I will go. Surgery is scheduled first thing Friday morning.

"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed."

8 comments:

  1. With current advancements in medicine and technology and a little help from God, medical miracles occur every day. Adelante amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Gilbert. This is Kathy Brooks, hollering at you from across the planet, out here in Georgia. What the heck is going on now? When I left NM, yall were just coming back from Alaska...and now this? Hate to hear that you guys are having to cope with this.
    You just have to be the tough guy that we all know you are and kick cancer's butt.
    I will never forget when I met you the very first day at the club and I was a nervous wreck and Robin made you show me around. All you talked about was your family. I knew immediately what kind of person you were. Lean on that beautiful family of yours and you will all get through this together. Larry and I are praying for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. This is a journey though that you will not walk alone. We will be here with you, Pat and the girls as you travel "Onward" down this path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gilbert, you must do what you think is impossible.
    But with God all things are possible. You and your family are in my prayers. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking today about the blessing of Friendship.
    With this in mind I stopped and bought a gift for you.
    I would like to give it to you. Would you like to know what it is.
    I will tell you.
    You may recognize the contents..
    designed with you in mind.

    A little understanding
    A few kind words
    A little compassion
    A Smile or two
    A little love too

    Do you recognize the contents.
    there what you share with me,
    I thought you could use them today..enjoy.

    Stay Strong

    Paul Heath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gilbert, I think it is safe to say we are all afraid. Afraid of pain. Afraid of what may lie ahead. So let's make a choice. Today I choose to accept my fear and let God carry me. That is, afterall, His promise to us. xoxoxo, Paula Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gilbert, Mike and I are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers....especially PRAYERS! You have to get well and you will! I am hopeful that the surgery today went well...look forward to hearing your progress in recovering. See you soon.....Julie and Mike Esstman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gilbert,
    Glad to know you are out of surgery. You've taken step #1 now "Onward"!

    ReplyDelete